Youth Detention: Important update on your EB
As you might remember, members gave in-principle agreement to this EB offer in December 2019, but the employee ballot, due to begin in April, was put on hold following the Premier’s announcement of a wage freeze. The EB has been in a holding pattern since then.
Following the passage of the 'wage freeze' legislation by the government last week, this offer references the ability for us to continue to run a 'wages determination' process with the independent umpire, the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission in order to seek a wage increase above the Award rate of pay for YDC staff this year.
In essence, this document is no different to the offer you accepted in December, which includes improvements such as:
- An environmental allowance of $50 per fortnight to all operational staff, pro rata for part time and casual staff;
- Including the 1:4 ratio in the EB and a commitment to expand it to all parts of BYDC (this already occurs in CYDC);
- Introducing additional (5 per centre and 2 for the New YDC) OO5-classified positions for supporting and mentoring lesser-experienced staff;
- There would be an initial internal (closed merit) recruitment process for these positions to allow existing staff the first opportunity.
- Please note, these roles would be included in the 1:4 ratio.
- A commitment to reviewing a number of policies in consultation with unions, including the Complaints and Discipline policies; and,
- Commitments around expanding training regarding things such as mental health and substance abuse.
However, we want to ensure that union members have their say, as the recent legislation means there is no longer a requirement for an employee ballot.
To indicate your view on the offer please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with either "Yes accept" or "No reject" by Wednesday 1 July.