Great news on AO2 Police reviews!
Congratulations, you did it!
On Monday afternoon the Deputy Commissioner Doug Smith sought a meeting to confirm they have completed the long awaited review of AO2 roles in stations and have agreed the work performed is identified as AO3.
Specifically this outcome is the Review of AO2 Roles identified in your certified agreement
This will be a structured process that is expected to be rolled out at the end of August/ start of September with payroll.
The stages are outlined below and the joint communication from QPS and your union is being finalised and will be published soon.
We know this has been a long time coming and it purely the result of members continuing to reinforce the importance of recognising the role you play. During the meeting on Monday the Department were very pleased to be in the position to support and acknowledge the important work you do and the role Together members played in this review.
We know you will have questions, such as:
- How do I confirm this is me?
- A letter will be supplied to all employees being upgraded. Due to the significant body of work involved this will likely occur around the same time as your pay will be adjusted in later August/ early September,
- When does the upgrade apply from?
- The upgrade applies from 1 July 2019 and as such members will receive backpay to this time where eligible.
- I am an AO3 in a station and currently do HR activities for my AO2 colleague who is now being upgraded. What does this mean for me?
- As a union member we can assist you in reviewing your role. We have already flagged this with QPS and they have acknowledged our concerns and are committed to engaging with Together members.
- I believe I should have been included, how do I get this reviewed?
- Contact your union office and we can assist by looking into your situation and supporting you with a review if necessary.
- Do we have a new position description?
- Position descriptions will be updated to reflect the new classification. This is currently being worked on and QPS will consult with your union prior to finalising.
It is also really important that members know this is only the beginning. Both your union and QPS know there are still other AO2 roles that should be reviewed and other administrative roles across QPS that should be reviewed. Your agreement also outlines the review process for these areas and we will continue to progress those to push for similar great outcomes. However, to do that we need to continue to stick together and encourage our colleagues who aren’t members to get on board to help our voices be heard.
We will continue to keep you updated over the coming weeks with more information regarding the implementation etc.
This is a big step in recognising the importance and value of administrative roles within QPS.
Finally, we also had the Agency Consultative Committee where we foreshadowed the ongoing work to be done across other administrative roles.
Congratulations and thanks to the many hard working members and delegates who have made this happen!