BYDC members - COVID testing available onsite TODAY (Friday 21st August)
The following information has been provided to Together by DYJ regarding testing:
The Department of Youth Justice is eager to ensure all staff are confident in returning to work at BYDC given the recent positive COVID test result.
The following advice is provided by QHealth to support staff to know the options available for accessing testing.
- If you are classified as a ‘close contact’ through the tracing process you will be contacted by Pubic Health for an assessment. If you believe you are a close contact but haven’t been contacted please contact West Morton Public Health Unit on 3818 4700.
- If you have COVID-19 symptoms please contact your General Practitioner and arrange testing.
- If you are well and not a close contact but would still like to be tested, West Moreton Health will undertake testing in the BYDC Health centre commencing from 11am today. This offer for testing on site is only available today.
DYJ will provide further advice to Unions shortly but seeks to prioritise information on rapid testing and access to testing at BYDC that is available only today.
If you are at all concerned, please get tested today.
As you might have seen, so far 56 test results have been returned and they are all negative. This is good news so far but comprehensive testing must be done to ensure that no further spread occurs within the Centre.
This morning we met with the Director-General and other senior managers to raise members’ concerns and get an update. Thanks to the members who raised these concerns – we will be meeting again early next week, so please send any questions or concerns to email@example.com or call on 1800 177 244. Your safety, and that of everyone else on site, must be the priority and union members will continue to make sure this happens.
Members raised concerns about a lack of communication yesterday. The Department has acknowledged this and has committed to working together with unions to make sure you get the information you need, when you need it.
The Department emphasised they were following Queensland Health’s expert advice regarding PPE, cleaning, and contact tracing. QH infection control and other staff are onsite and advising procedures.
PPE and cleaning:
- The current QH advice is that masks are the only mandatory PPE required at this stage;
- The supply of masks is ‘limitless’ and anyone going on shift should be briefed on mask hygiene (i.e. when and how to dispose of a mask and wear a new one);
- Industrial cleaning is occurring daily with a specific focus on the ops room and other areas visited by the positive staff member;
- Other cleaning (including at night) has been increased.
If you are required to self-isolate pending test results, or have been asked not to attend work, you should be paid ‘as if you were at work’/as per your roster (which includes the cons allowance).
We continue to pass on well wishes to your colleague who has also been the subject of a lot of unfair media attention.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your union office on 1800 177 244 or firstname.lastname@example.org.