Last year Together members campaigned for better job security and rights for temporary employees. Because of your campaign you now have access to a new government directive that makes this real.
The new Temporary Employment Directive came into effect on 1 July. Click here to see the Directive.
The Directive emphasises that:
- Temporary employment should only be used for true temporary circumstances
- The government has a commitment to employment security
- Temporary employees have rights to flexible working arrangements and written notices of their engagements
- Temporary employees can be converted to permanent status following a review
- Queensland Health MUST review temporary employee's employment after 2 years
- If a review does not come back with a decision within 28 days or the review does not result in a permanent job the employee has a right to an appeal
- Temporary employees have a right to representation from their union in relation to their review and appeals
- It is not a requirement to have been through an open merit process to be converted.
- Performing the role successfully for two years or more with successful performance reviews (or no negative reviews) should be sufficient evidence of merit.
If this applies to you, your union can help you with this process. Contact your union on 1800 177 244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and make sure you complete the survey below.